South African entrepreneur celebrating local textilesApril 25, 2018
Sew your own shweshwe tote bagJune 18, 2018
Scatter cushions are quick, easy and inexpensive to make, and they can transform any living area from dull to magical in an instant.
Over and above this, if you make your own scatter cushions, you can choose custom colours, designs, textures and decorations to suit your particular décor theme and other soft furnishings – not only can you use them to add textures and colours to makes your décor composition pop, but they will also make any area that they grace that much more comfortable and inviting.
Here’s a quick guide on how to make your own scatter cushions:
What you will need:
- Ready-made cushion inner
- Black koki
- Shweshwe fabric
- Matching thread
- Needle or sewing machine
- A zip or poppers
- Lay a large piece of newspaper out on the counter. Place your readymade cushion inner in the centre of the newspaper, and with your koki, carefully trace around the cushion.
- Remove the cushion and add around 2,5cm to all four sides of the square to allow for the cushions seams. Now, draw the larger square shape out on the paper using a ruler to ensure that the sides are nice and straight.
- Cut the square out and now you can use this piece of paper as a pattern to cut out two equally sized pieces of fabric.
- Place the right sides of the fabric squares together, and carefully pin the edges together on three of the sides.
- Sew the three pinned sides of fabric together by hand or using your sewing machine.
- The fourth side will form the opening in which you will squeeze the ready-made cushion inner. Here, sew about a quarter of the way on each side, leaving plenty of room in the middle to get your cushion in or out.
- Turn the fabric inside out so that the right sides are facing outwards, making sure you push the corners all the way out.
- Now you can sew your zip or poppers in place, insert your cushion inner and you are done!
Check out our catalogues page to see all our shweshwe fabric here: https://www.dagama.co.za/catalogues/
Tag us in your Shweshwe cushion photos! We would love to feature them on our social media pages.